Saturday 28 November 2020

Bird Study.

Bird Week.
So again, I like to make the picture interesting, so have filled the background with a print. 
I introduced the children in year 4 to the artist, Mark Heard, noting his varied use of media and layers in his work.  As soon as I discovered his work, I felt very familiar with it. 
It's like creating a display in school. Think about colours, not too many, build the layers up. With children's pictures, I can't stand it when they just draw and colour in. There are so many techniques that could be used to fill the space. 


Using my gelli plate, with silver and blue acrylic paints, the children used leaves to create these positive and negative prints.
On a separate piece of white paper, using oil pastel  the children drew either a magpie, or a wood pigeon. These are birds that we see around our school, so they are familiar with them. 
I cut them out, mounted on black sugar paper and put the picture together, however, note to self...this takes too long, 60 children in the year group. 
                         I let them cut it out themselves now, even the younger ones. 







This made a lovely long term display.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment